CFO Austin, Texas
Servant Leadership is at the heart of how our client conducts business and how they treat team members, customers and business partners. They are a thriving commercial real estate enterprise, an operating company focused on multi-family apartment home community development and ownership, with vertically integrated development, construction and property management lines of business, all based, owned and operated in Austin, Texas.
We are committed to our team, to their learning, growth and success, to making this a spectacular place to work, and to our company culture including Purpose, Vision, Mission, Principles as well as an enduring commitment for building the culture of community, the appreciation of others, gratitude, and fun. We do all of this pretty well and we plan to do it even better. Meanwhile, we have become quite successful according to the standard unit of measure, financial, as well.
Our client began developing apartment home communities over twenty years ago, and started with a passion to create rental housing that is structured to serve people in a better way; housing that could affect positive change in people’s lives, housing that could be sustained over time where people, both management team and residents, matter. Their business model is different. They hold, own, operate and maintain what we develop. Most sell. They hold. They plan to hold forever and they aim to be sustainable, financially evergreen. So far it is working pretty well.
In 2015 they became fully integrated with the ability to expand their intentional, hands on approach to all aspects of development, construction and management. Their portfolio of over 4,000+ apartment home units in the urban areas of Texas is successful by any means. With another 1,200 apartment home units now under development and more beyond that, their prospects are assured. And having easily survived and actually thrived during both the 2008-2014 recession and again during the 2020 May through July virus economy, their future is bright.
They are a great company looking for great people who are willing to roll up your shirtsleeves, go shoulder to shoulder with a great team, put your hands on an oar, row hard and help them be even greater.
vcfo has been engaged exclusively to assist them in looking for an experienced CFO to join the team!
The ideal candidate will be committed to or willing to commit to Servant Leadership and their Company Culture, highly motivated and actively seeking opportunities to support the commitments of the enterprise including multiple lines of business operations and their most important asset, our team, the people who make the Company successful.
You will be both a strategic and tactical partner to all areas of the company and provide input and feedback in setting the direction of the organization. Working as a collaborative leader, the CFO is responsible for managing and reporting on all fiscal and fiduciary affairs of the organization, including reporting to investors, lenders, and other entities; cash and investment management; budgeting and forecasting; and managing the day to day operations of the accounting department. The CFO is responsible as a business partner to collaborate with company executives to serve the financial interest of that company line of business supporting the executive with cost control, budgeting, tracking and profitability and as well for the Asset Management department that oversees all residential and commercial assets. The CFO collaborates with the Chief Executive Officer and other senior staff to develop and implement the organization’s business plan in order to meet its strategic goals. The CFO recommends the financial strategy for reaching the organization’s goals, monitors and analyzes financial results.
Related duties and responsibilities: Organizational Strategy and Results:
- Together with the CEO and executive leadership team, develops the strategy to ensure that the organization has the financial resources needed to achieve its current and future goals, while mitigating financial and operational risk
- Serves as a key “Business Partner” advisor to the executive staff
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with key financial partners including funders, investors, partners, government agencies, consultants, and vendors
Financial Management and Reporting:
- Oversees organizational budgeting, accounting and cash management to ensure accurate reporting, interpretation and analysis of financial results in conjunction with forecasts and long-range plans
- Manages and supports the preparation of the annual consolidated corporate audit and tax returns
- Prepares the annual corporate consolidated financial statements
- Oversees and reviews property audits and tax returns
- Establishes and maintains controls to safeguard assets; documents and recommends improvements to internal financial policies and procedures
- Develops and complete timely financial statements and report on transactions and/or information requests
- Manages and monitors the organization’s cash flow and real estate development capital needs.
- Supervises the accounting staff on day to day operations that includes, but is not limited to, month/year end close, accounts receivable & payable, financial reports, payroll, invoicing, cash receipts and disbursements
- Maintains various liability and insurance policies
- Understand how the financial, development, and construction business operations are interrelated and provide guidance in the harmonizing of the two
- At least 10 years of demonstrated relevant finance and accounting experience, with at least five years’ experience as a CFO or Director of Finance, with both technical and management proficiency in operations of a real estate development, construction and/or property management organizations
- BA or MBA in Finance or Accounting required, other additional relevant advanced degree and/or certification, such as a CFA or CPA CFA, CPA preferred
- Knowledge and experience with real estate development, construction and/or property management accounting and finance, preferably in affordable multi-family housing
- Use of collaborative and facilitative approach and the flexibility to work with broad range of cultures, personalities, and work styles
- Commitment to community development, helping workforce communities and strong work ethic and understanding of nonprofit business models
- Professional demeanor
- Willingness to collaborate and participate on a team in a mission driven organization
- Ability to demonstrate the greatest level of flexibility in an environment with frequent changing priorities required to meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated experience with design and implementation of enhanced financial systems and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to prepare clear, accurate, well-organized written and financial reports and to communicate verbally in an effective and concise manner
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, accounting software programs, and ability to become proficient in industry-specific software
- Supervisory experience required
Our client has a competitive benefits package including 401k retirement plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid holidays, sick and vacation time. And their best benefit is their team and culture.